Thursday, August 2, 2012

Caution: Dangerous Bug Sweeping Nation


I have seen an outbreak of this in my practice, and many people are infected worldwide.  It is life threatening (depending on your definition of life), and it is contagious.  (mostly spread from parents to children.)

Signs of the infection:

“Should-ing” on yourself.  If you notice yourself frequently feeling unworthy because you should really be getting something done, you are probably infected.  

Bipolar behavior…happy when you do what you should and depressed when you don’t.

Tourette behavior…uncontrollable verbal outbursts, commonly heard as “idiot!,” “what’s wrong with you!?,” and “oh, my god!”  (Spoken to self)

If you have any of these symptoms…you may be infected…with a dangerous bug called Self Loathing!  (Don’t worry, it is curable with the right medicine)  

Step one: Notice who is should-ing on who.  Awareness that you are infecting yourself (and your kids, as they model your behavior, for better or worse) is half the challenge.  Once you notice, you can even make a point to pay attention to the positives, to override the habit of focusing on the negative.  The fact is you should never do anything you “should” do…you should only do what you want to do!  Consider the results also…you might want to eat a quart of ice cream, but do you really want to feel bloated and sleepy?  

Step two:  Try this attitude on for size:  We are born with ZERO resources.  We poop in our pants, our communication is terrible, we sleep a lot (Lazy!), we hardly accomplish anything in a day, and depend entirely on someone else for our basic needs.  WE ALL START THAT WAY!  No Resources.  

And, EVERYTHING WE TRY, we fail.  We screw it up.  We want to walk like all those big people around us, so we pull up, get on two feet, and BOOM, we take a header into the coffee table.  (Stupid…idiot…what is wrong with me!?)  But, since we don’t have that language (yet!), we simply notice that letting go too soon caused pain…or leaning too far to the right led to a poor result.  We added some experience and a tiny bit of resource.  

Somewhere, somehow, we developed a thought stream that failure is stupid, and stupid is bad.  It causes us to focus on the mistake and not the experience…or the resource.  What a block to growth!  

Imagine expecting failure in early attempts at anything and everything.  Good salespeople have this attitude…they expect 10 failures for every success.  Imagine looking for the wisdom in every failure.  Heck, we might actually become wise, or get up to 1 success for every 5 failures!  

Step 3:  This attitude is caused by a hypersensitivity to “Ignorance” AKA being stupid.  Hypersensitivities are shaped in our nervous system through experience.  That means that the reason you are so offended by stupid or ignorant people is because you had the experience of feeling stupid or ignorant.  

It might have been one BIG experience of Mom or Dad really getting mad because you made a mess out of something, or it can be slowly carved by the messaging of our culture…stupid is BAD!  We have “You’re stupid” looks and gestures…we laugh at painful mistakes, even have home video TV shows that highlight mistakes and pain.  I don’t mind the laughing, I find myself hilarious at times…what is missing in our culture is the value of mistakes (failure, screw ups, etc.).  The value of failure, if we focus on the value… is growth.  The detriment of focusing on the stupid-ness of the mistake is lack of growth.  

So we all have these hypersensitivities, what do we do?  

Hypersensitivity responses, in my experience, are best treated with acupressure tapping.  If you search for EFT, or Emotional Freedom Technique, you can easily locate and download a full system tapping protocol that works well.  Armed with your tapping regimen, you relax and recall the memories of stupidity.  As you recall the ones that make you squirm, or some emotional response, you perform the tapping.  As you approach the end of the tapping, you look for the value in that experience…you want to finish with a resource…some gathering of wisdom.  Repeat on every look you got from momma, embarrassing school experience, big trouble, etc.  And if you can’t find the resource in the experience…just tap and move on to step 4.  

Step 4:  When you notice the results…and you notice that they are not what you want…just like the baby, reach out your hand for stability.  Look to people with specialized knowledge, people who have already mastered walking, and make it look easy (or whatever you are trying to master)…and ASK FOR HELP. 
One common sign of infection (infected with self loathing) that I see in my office is not doing the diet right (eating “bad” foods) and not taking the supplements right (missing doses).  As well as, “I don’t exercise enough, stay up too late, don’t drink enough water, meditate, etc., etc.”  All those things you “should be doing!”  I often reply… “Oh, you too!?”  And then share how I am not doing what I “should be doing.”

I am a collector of resources, however, and I have managed to improve my health all while NOT DOING MANY THINGS I SHOULD BE DOING.  For instance, exercise…I pay gym dues and go to the gym about twice a month…but I have found a way to keep in decent shape with 5 minutes a day…in my office, or at home.  I eat pizza and chocolate several times a week, but have developed multiple ways to “pay off” my indulgences.  I don’t meditate but have found a way to calm my mind by tapping on my face.  I don’t stretch but I use exercises that challenge a full range of motion and increase flexibility. 

And every resource I have found, I found through asking.  Sometimes I ask by reading a book by someone who has mastered something I wish to master.  Sometimes by asking a colleague or friend, and others by hiring an expert.  

And, I choose my experts carefully…a white coat and big clinic do NOT equal expert in health.  Most of these people are experts in naming your disease and helping you manage it for life.  Success to that kind of expert is slowing down the progression of your disease.  

The experts I choose always fit my life philosophy.  I know that some of my experts are more expert than others, and I value their advice more heavily.  I know who my experts are and what they stand for. 
This way, I get advice that works for me to increase my growth process, and accumulation of resources.  And that makes life easier (nice!).

There you go…if you are infected…and chances are you have at least a mild case…you now have the 4 step de-lousing formula!!  I have been delousing for years, and still have some signs of infection.  These are grooves in our subconscious that can go pretty deep.  Follow this formula and you will notice improvement (not perfection), that just might approach perfection as you grow and increase resources.  

And remember, you will never have ALL resources, so you will always be “stupid” to some degree, in some fields, in some ways…don’t fight it, join the team! 

No comments:

Post a Comment