Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Weight Loss Experiment Continued



It’s time to commit again.  I don’t know many people who don’t have 5 or 10 pounds to lose, or would like to shed some inches, so this is pertinent to most people.  It is also pertinent to you because of the process.  The process of observation, changing variables, and being curious…is the process to solve any problem or achieve any health goal (any goal for that matter).  

Last time, I committed to a supplement list, six minutes of exercise, and an additional minute of exercise for every indulgence (carb intake of 15 grams).  I didn’t commit to being better with diet.  I have some good habits that are easy for me.  Veggie smoothie, extra greens and veggies, and regular protein intake.  

You can see the 30 day results here.  And the exercise video here.

I didn’t see the fat loss on the scale or body fat analyzer as I had wished, but the photos did reveal some improvement.  

The very important positive is that I kept the exercise regimen pretty consistently, which is what the ultimate goal is…find positive habits that you will do and keep.  Overall, I’d call it a success, but not everything I was shooting for.    

So, time to change some variables.  One variable I am curious about is a “weight loss” supplement called L-Carnitine.  Carnitine is an amino acid found in protein foods, particularly red meat (have you fallen for the red meat is bad myth?).  It is used in supplement form to burn fat, repair cardiac and skeletal muscle, and even has a study showing it reverses the damage to the heart occurring during and after a heart attack. 

Another variable is HIT.  High Intensity Training.  In keeping with the concept of avoiding over-committing, I am committing to an additional minute of high intensity training.  That would be one set of “power jumps” or a sprint for 30 seconds.  I don’t have any research handy on HIT, but I like the idea of going full speed a little bit each day.  Kids often run as fast as they can, but adults often never reach a slow jog.  Same concept as the get ups (lying flat on the floor and getting up…straight up), if you keep doing these activities, you never end up not able to do them. 

The last variable I will change is diet.  Yup, just a little.  I generally indulge to the tune of 30-40 servings per week.  I’m going to reduce that total to 25-30…still plenty of room for beer, chips, chocolate (my favorites), but a good 150 calorie decrease on average.  And, I will still pay off my indulgences with extra protein, a set of exercises for each, and an extra shot of an herbal detox blend per indulgence.  

My past supplement protocol was pretty intensive…lots of pills.  This time I will be using an herbal detox blend (one bottle!) that has milk thistle, burdock, culvers root, and schizandra.  I always take fish oils, and I find the NAC pretty important (especially with beer consumption).  I hold firmly to the genetic concept (from Dr. Bruce Ames) and will stick with the Vitamin B6 (this is based on observational experience, not just a concept or idea).  

I will also remain curious and excited to see the result.  If you want to increase stress and really mess up your results, well then, have heavy expectations.  If you want to have fun and decrease stress, be a curious scientist.  

The results are pretty clear in a weight loss experiment…body shape, body fat, and weight are the outcomes.  In a health experiment, we use other factors, such as neurological testing, lab testing, and symptom improvement…but the concept is the same.  Change a few variables (not randomly, but based on accumulated wisdom), and have some outcome assessments.  If it doesn’t work, change some more variables.  

This is exactly what we provide to our clients…specialized knowledge of variables, specialized knowledge of reading outcomes, and guidance to live a fun and interesting experiment called life.  Whether your hurdle is weight, energy, pain, or other symptoms or conditions, this is a great way to accomplish your goals…with a high probability of success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment