Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Top Five Autoimmune Treatment Mistakes!

1.       3. Insurance
Insurance is the THIRD HUGE MISTAKE…how can this be? 
Three words…”Standard of Care!”   Insurance pays for what is the standard of care.  The standard of care acknowledges that they have no idea what is causing your problem, and can only treat symptomatically.
I hesitate to even say this…but, let’s put some PERSPECTIVE on that…treating symptoms.  They treat symptoms with drugs.  What is the most widely used drug….ALCOHOL.  Now, I ask you…if you drank a whole bottle of wine tonight…how would you feel!  I bet a bit loopy…I bet a bit DRUNK.  I bet your symptoms would be CHANGED.  I bet you would FEEL BETTER!  Until…the next morning. 
WHY is any other drug ANY DIFFERENT??  They only work while you are “intoxicated” by them.  They all add to the toxic load of your body, in fact some you have to watch liver damage enzymes!!  What is the difference between getting doped up on Tylenol, and getting buzzed up on booze?
Again…the sooner you realize that the way to FIX your problem is NOT the STANDARD OF CARE…the better for YOU! 
I recently had an encounter with the “standard of care police.”  I was a “preferred provider” for BCBS…meaning I paid my fees, signed a contract to accept lower wages, and agree to a “standard of care.”  I tried playing by the rules…billing only standard back and neck pain services to my BCBS patients…BUT, I tend to spend a longer time with patients…so I billed for this longer time. 
The first year I received a “sad face” on my report card…the executive summary of my billing for the year.  It said that I billed too many services per visit.  I was “above average” and needed to correct my awful ways. 
Well, I use what I think is the best for my patients, so I really didn’t change anything.  So…the next year I was sent to the principal…literally I had to call some guy who was going to lecture me.  I did, because I was under contract…he answered on his cell phone from his Porsche (I don’t really know what he drives), and proceeds to tell me I am terribly UN-average, and that this MUST change. 
I am looking at my report card as I am talking to him.  I see that my cost per visit is around 100…and that the average is closer to 60.  I also see on the next line, that my cost per patient is LOWER than the average.  That means that people are getting well FASTER and FOR LESS MONEY in the long run…by me taking my time and treating people from all angles.  I mention this to him…that I am saving him (his corporation) MONEY by taking more time with my patients! 
This doesn’t seem to sink in…he repeats the BAD number…higher cost per visit…and goes on to say that they are preparing to initiate an investigation into my practices, and that this costs the average doctor 50-100 THOUSAND DOLLARS.  He wants to “help me” avoid this situation by getting me to be more “average.” 
Hmmmm…I think…so here are my options…become more “average,” or pay 50-100 thousand for an investigation.  I choose option 3…I voluntarily resign.  I have three months to let my patients know that I will no longer be accepted under their insurance.  I keep billing my usual rates. 
Three months later…I am out…but I AM NOT AVERAGE!!  I’ll take it. 
Now, for your specific condition…I have discovered a test that is the ULTIMATE discovery for any Autoimmune condition.  I have been running it on patients for the last couple years.  It lays out exactly the imbalance that is occurring in your immune system.  Which way…what we need to do about it…it provides an EFFECTIVE TREATMENT PLAN.  Only problem…it is only authorized by insurance if you are HIV positive.  It is only considered “standard” if you qualify (HIV positive). 
I have seen symptoms disappear like magic as this lab shifts toward normal…for MANY autoimmune disorders.  But, it is only “covered” if you are HIV positive. 
I have had patients ask their “insurance doctors” to run this test…and they refused.  (I’m sure the exact same thing would happen to them as happened to me.)  I had a meeting with a doctor who treats autoimmune problems, so I asked him why he didn’t run this test…as it is THE definitive immune assessment…he had never heard of it. 
When…and if…you realize that the “system” is not set up to effectively treat your condition…the better off for you.  When…and if…you realize that you WILL have to find an innovator, and this innovator will ALWAYS be OUT of the system…because we don’t fit in the system…the better off for you. 
Your problem CAN BE significantly improved.  I can almost guarantee it.  I have the confidence that Columbus had setting sail on a trip that everyone knew was sure death.  I sail ANYWAY. 
Yours in Health,

No comments:

Post a Comment