Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dr. Stone...meet discipline.



I have been talking about my indulgence antidote recently.  If you haven’t heard…I lack discipline in many areas of my life.  You can read my confession here… “Are you good enough?”

The reality is that I have great discipline to do what I want to do, and horrible discipline in doing what I should be doing.  I have great discipline in paying off my indulgences, and using nature’s meds (and foods) to support my weakest links…of body and will.  

Perhaps some people are successful at “willing” themselves to eat healthier and exercise more…meditate, yoga, relaxation, kindness, nurturing…taking care of themselves.  All these items are good ideas, and you should do more of them.  

I just fail at everything I should do.  

This is my plan…I am going to “will” myself to exercise more often…using discipline…and a whole lot of accountability.  Ie. I am telling you, and everyone who receives my emails exactly what I will be doing, so I am “on the hook” with a lot of people…  (which is why I am keeping my commitments very reasonable!) 
 
I will record (journal and video) the process and progress on a daily basis…with a goal of reducing my body fat percentage by 5% in 30 days.  

What I will NOT do is reduce my indulgences.  They are coming along for the ride, since they clearly serve some function in my life right now.  Perhaps it is research (I have learned a ton through treating my own effects/symptoms of indulgence)…or perhaps it is medication for emotional baggage. 

What I WILL DO, is commit to doing a full regimen of baby patterns daily.  You can see the exercise video here…Baby Patterns.    And…I will do one extra set for each indulgence serving.  

I will continue to use my indulgence antidote, flood my body with greens and veggies, eat small protein snacks throughout the day, and use nature’s medicines to support my weakest links (adrenals, digestion, thyroid, liver, etc.) 

I will monitor my weight and body fat daily, and will continue to monitor my health, energy, and any symptoms.  

And I will report the entire process over the next 30 days.  

Today is February 18, 2013…I weigh 175 pounds and measure 19.1% body fat.  (that is 3-5% higher than my typical past measurements).  My body is communicating to me, through intestinal bloating, that it didn’t appreciate the 20 oz of coffee this morning (well, that’s my interpretation and experience…if I don’t take enough Milk Thistle, I bloat from coffee).  I also notice some slight discomfort in my right shoulder, which is popping and clicking, and I feel a pain of 2-3 out of 10 when doing pushups.  

Sonya (my partner) will accompany me on this journey…she was actually the inspiration for making a change, as she is wanting to improve her weight after having our fifth child in November.  I’ll ask her to journal her symptoms, weight, body fat, etc. also. 

The purpose of this process, besides improving our health and fitness, is to document how “meeting your needs” can improve function and health without being perfect with your diet.  You will see how I meet different needs, which are signaled by symptoms…and the needs of all energy producing systems toward a very common goal….weight loss.  

We will also apply a skin rejuvenation protocol during this process… just to notice…

And, as much as anything, it’s just for fun…by being the curious, ignorant scientist…take some action, with (for me) just a tiny bit of discipline, and curiously notice what happens (can’t really observe the true result if you “know” what will happen).  

How will we look…skin, body…how will we feel…energy, symptoms?  

Check back and find out…

No comments:

Post a Comment