Thursday, May 17, 2012

Focusing on the NEGATIVE!


Interesting observation with a patient…

We use a device in our office much like the hospital, called a tuffsat pulse oximeter.  It reads two measures of oxygen…availability and delivery.  Oxygen concentration…as I say…are the boxes on the truck…which can be affected by asthma, anemia, COPD, etc.  Oxygen perfusion…as I say…are the trucks on the street…which is affected by adrenaline, noradrenaline, cAMP…these are all stress factors.  

This patient arrives with an oxygen perfusion at 20% of the lowest level of normal.  Actual numbers…1-3 is normal…she measured at 0.18.  I even put it on my finger to see if it was working properly…yup, shot right up to 2 something.  

My first goal with everyone is to reduce physiological stressors…the stuff going on inside the body…inflammation, hormones, etc.  Often, when patients come in low, after we treat them, the numbers are fine.  In her case, it still measured at 0.18.  

Now, I could question my treatment…and I do.  I double checked some reflexes…retested the weak muscles…all were strong.  Next, I mentioned that these numbers were affected by stress factors, and asked if there was anything going on in her life.  She paused, thought, and replied a fairly certain no.  

I went on to tell her of my years of practice, under the guidance of therapist Gary Rollins, of noticing the negative.  I told her how we instinctively, and perhaps through some learned behaviors, look away from yucky things…our yucky things.  This doesn’t apply to our love of watching others pain!  

If you smash your thumb with a hammer, your first instinct is to look away.  You don’t want to see the blood…your blood.  But, realizing that ignoring it will be more painful than dealing with it, you look back, clean it up, and bandage the wounds.  

I went on that life is just like that.  We instinctively look away from our wounds…which, in the emotional realm I call triggers.  In simple terms, triggers are upsets.  I told her about several things that triggered me, from Amory breaking the parking lot rules, to Sonya not taking care of herself the way she “should” in my opinion.  

I explained that it was pretty obvious when my 2 year old was missing…I clamped down on the parking lot rule.  The issue with Sonya more followed the look away rule.  I didn’t see my upset building…or rather I turned away…because I didn’t know what to do about it.  And the end result was a blow up type argument that could have so easily been prevented.  

The point…it will keep slapping you in the face until you acknowledge it…as we say to the twins at teeth brushing time…you will do this…the easy way…or the hard way.  

After this short explanation, I gave her a moment to reconsider…and now, after enjoying my pain (I gave 5 or 6 examples)…she found something irritating.  And she got in to it…telling me how irritating and why irritating…and all the details of what was irritating.  

And you know what…even as she described her “trigger,” her oxygen perfusion went up.  Sure enough…just talking about the irritation brought her up to 0.3.  Yes, that’s only a third alive, but much better than one fifth.  

Then we examined the charge.  Her stress originally was in the large intestine meridian, which, when you expand your understanding beyond western medicine and pooping…means criticism.  We tapped on the criticism she felt in this irritation…the real reason it was irritating…and, sure enough…she nearly came back to life (up to nearly 1.0).

The wonderful thing for me…as I see this all the time…and with past approaches have been less than successful in helping people achieve calm (and sometimes lead to increased “triggering” and yelling at me!!)…was that she was able to do just what I am here to do for people…notice…calm…and heal. 
In this case, it was merely the noticing how personal she was taking it.  Sometimes you have to hold a boundary…face a conflict.  She just had to laugh at herself.  And she did.  More nourished than when I greeted her!    And that translates perfectly into healing…

PS. She has already been featured in our amazing healing videos, and plans on an even more amazing video…! 

No comments:

Post a Comment